The Cardio Myth

170831-stock-better-running-treadmill-ew-249p_c32e40880bb2f88bade27d652281901b.focal-760x380

I see it all the time. People have a vacation coming up and the first thing they do is increase their gym visitation frequency to 7 days a week , and hop on a piece of cardio equipment for an hour or more each time counting the amount of calories they’ve burned. On top of that they post pictures on instagram of their 2 meal a day salads putting their body into an extreme calorie deficit.

Losing Weight vs Fat Loss

It is true that in order to lose weight you need to burn more calories than you consume on a day to day/ weekly basis. That is probably the simplest weight loss definition you’ll find on the internet, and by all means it is true. But there is a big difference between watching the scale go down in number and losing fat.

When people spend hours upon hours on cardio machines they end up putting their body into a catabolic state, causing them to 1. Burn muscle, 2. Reduce strength,  3. SLOW DOWN their metabolism and 4. Raise cortisol levels (encouraging the body to store fat). So the moment this everyday treadmill routine comes to an end, they successfully manage to regain all of the weight they lost.

Lift Weights/ Eat the RIGHT food

Play the long game. Get away from the status quo of quick fixes and instant gratification. Keep cardio in your routine, but add resistance training into your workout (3-4x a week) routines for long term weight loss benefits. Get serious about what you’re putting in your body. I’m a big believer in the 80-20 rule. Partially because I like gourmet burgers and the reality is creamy pasta is my kryptonite. So I tend to boycott extremely rigid unsustainable meal plans. The 80-20 rule simply states that 80% of your meals need to be health conscious, while the other 20% has some flexibility; not a complete free for all.

Comments are closed.

Create a website or blog at WordPress.com

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: